If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Lamingtons are a classic Australian treat–two layers of vanilla sponge, sandwiched together with strawberry jam and rolled in chocolate and coconut. This gluten-free recipe includes some almond meal in the sponge cake for extra flavour, but this can easily be eliminated from the recipe for a nut-free alternative. —Maisy Hutchings
Makes two 10cm mini cakes or one 20cm cake
For the cakes
- 1.25 cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond meal
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
For the icing
- 3/4 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup Dutch cocoa, sifted
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 5 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 160ºC. Grease and line two 10cm mini cake pans (or one 20cm cake pan).
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, caster sugar, and almond meal. Add egg, oil, milk, and vanilla extract, and beat into a batter.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans, and bake in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean. Turn cakes out onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Once cakes have cooled, use a serrated knife to level off the top of each cake so you have a flat surface. Spread jam over the top of one of the cakes, and layer the other cake on top.
- In a large bowl, sift together cocoa and icing sugar, and stir until the mix is uniform in colour. Add milk, one tablespoon at a time, stirring until the icing is a thick, spreadable consistency.
- Spread icing over the top and sides of the cake using a palette knife or spatula. Taking spoonfuls of coconut in the palm of your hand, gently press the coconut into the sides of the cake, and sprinkle the remaining coconut over the top. Serve the cake on its own or with whipped cream.