Author Notes: Today I did a wine tasting with lunch. For dessert I decided to make my basic meringue and add a few special touches. I used Amanda's strawberries with a kick and had rave reviews. The man seated next to me was (I thought )moaning but he informed me that he was purring! —dymnyno
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp vanilla
whipping cream, whipped with or without sugar(the meringue and strawberries are pretty sweet)
the best semi-sweet chocolate, grated with a microplaner (about 2tbs)
fresh strawberries that have been husked and sliced in half.
6 tbs amanda's Preserved Strawberries with Chiles recipe on Food52
- Using the first 4 ingredients make the meringue (see my basic meringue) recipe on food52
- Put a large spoonful of meringue batter on parchment or silpat on a baking sheet and smooth with a spoon to make a circular base. Repeat to make 6 meringues.
- Sprinkle some of the micro-planed chocolate on each meringue and bake in a 275 degree oven for about 35 minutes. Turn off oven and leave for 15 minutes.
- Put a spoonful of Amanda's Preserved Strawberries with Chiles on each meringue.
- Put a dollop of whipped cream on each meringue. Then put a small handfull of fresh strawberries on each.
- Then put another dollop of whipped cream.
- Finally, sprinkle a little more grated chocolate and crank a few turns of black pepper on top of the whipped cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Strawberries