Author Notes: This ginger and garlic-spiked soup is perfect for weathering the transition from winter to spring. Serve with a generous loaf of homemade bread. NOTE: I first published this recipe in Chickpea Magazine. —Kate Weiner
cups Vegetable Stock
Kale Leaves (Approx. 2 Bunches)
piece Ginger Root
Splash Olive Oil
- Coat base of large pot in olive oil and bring to medium-high heat. Finely chop onion and pour into pot. Stir frequently.
- As onions are caramelizing, turn oven to 400. Cut sweet potatoes into chunks—remember to keep the skin!—and slice the mushroom into thin strips. Toss with olive oil and salt on a non-stick baking tray. Roast until the sweet potato is tender to the touch and the mushrooms are golden brown, approx. 35-40 minutes.
- In separate pan, sauté kale with crushed garlic. Although most of us toss the ribs, kale leaves’ fibrous bones make for yummy empanada filling.
- Finely mince ginger and mix into soup.
- Stir in kale, sweet potatoes, and mushrooms as ready. Let cook for at least two hours, stirring often. The longer, the better!