Author Notes: I know, I know. Last week was strawberry week. So I may be a week late and a dollar short, but this is great summery combination and it’s got all the elements of the this week's mystery basket. —cheese1227
Serves: four cups of grilled berries and two cups of sorbet
The zest of two lemons
sizable springs of thyme
cup fresh lemon juice
quart fresh strawberries, hulled
- You need to begin making the sorbet early in the day or the night before you want to serve it. Put the water and sugar into a saucepan and bring to a boil so the sugar dissolves. Add the lemon rind and the thyme springs and take it off the heat and leave it steeping for 2 hours or so. Strain the syrup and add the lemon juice.
- At this point, if you have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture in it and let the machine do its work. If you don’t have one, pour it into a plastic container and put is in the freezer for at least four hours. After that point, take it out and put is in either a blender or a food processor and wizz it about until there is some air in it (it will go from clear and flat to cloudy and airy). Put it back into the plastic container and back into the freezer for at least two hours.
- To grill the berries, brush the cut side with a bit of walnut oil. Place them flat side down on a medium-hot grill. You only need to grill them until they are marked, about two minutes.
- Let the berries cool slightly and place them in a bowl with a scoop of sorbet, garnished with a spring of thyme and lemon zest.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Use of Lemon, Thyme and a Grill