Author Notes: A divine tea time treat - buttery shortbread topped with a generous layer of caramel all smothered in velvety dark chocolate ganache. Extravagance on a plate! —Teresa Ulyate
Makes: 25 blocks
For the shortbread:
grams castor sugar
grams butter, cubed
For the caramel and ganache:
1 x 385
grams tin condensed milk
grams golden syrup
grams dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 170°C. Grease a 20cm square tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Make the shortbread by putting the flour, castor sugar and butter into a bowl. Rub together until the mixture comes together into a dough.
- Press the dough into the prepared tin in an even layer. Bake for 25 minutes until lightly golden. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare the caramel by mixing the butter, condensed milk and golden syrup in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until the butter has melted and the ingredients are combined. Allow to simmer gently for 6 minutes while stirring until the caramel has thickened and darkened in colour.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Pour the caramel over the baked shortbread and spread in an even layer. Chill in the fridge for one and a half hours.
- To make the ganache combine the dark chocolate and cream in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Spread the chocolate over the chilled caramel and leave to set.
- Cut the millionaire's shortbread into squares and carefully remove from the tin. Store in an airtight container.