If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe ticks all the boxes when it comes to week night suppers - quick, easy and of course delicious! Ready in under 30 minutes, it's one of my go-to meals at home. —Teresa Ulyate
Serves 3 to 4
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 200 grams white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 x 410 grams tin of chopped tomatoes
- 50 grams tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian / mixed herbs
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup cream
- 250 grams penne, cooked
- basil pesto, to serve
- parmesan cheese, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and red wine and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have softened.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable stock, sugar, Italian herbs. some salt and pepper and the cream. Stir and then allow to boil gently for 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Tip the cooked penne into the sauce and toss gently. Dish the pasta onto warmed plates and dot with little dollops of basil pesto. Add a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and serve immediately.