If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This delicious dessert was shared by a wonderful Parsi woman, Khurshid Mehta. This Cream of Wheat-like dessert is served at festive occasions like birthdays. It's creamy, sweet, and adorned with butter-toasted nuts and dried fruit. Amazingly delicious and addictive! —Anna Francese Gass
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 stick of unsalted butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons blanched, slivered almonds
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons sooji or fine semolina (use up to 4 tablespoons if using semolina)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg (optional)
- In a small pan, heat 1/2 stick of butter on low flame. When butter starts to simmer, add almonds.Stir vigorously until almonds become a golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, remove from the butter and add raisins. Stir until they plump and remove to paper towel-lined plate with almonds.
- In a large saucepan, warm remaining stick of butter. Add sooji and stir until well coated and lightly browned. Remove from heat and add milk and sugar until no lumps remain.
- Return pot to stove and begin stirring mixture on medium heat. If you see lumps, remove from heat again and stir. Remove from heat when mixture begins to bubble. Allow to cool by stirring vigorously for a few minutes.
- Slowly temper in the beaten egg: Stir and mix in egg very slowly to keep egg from scrambling. Keep stirring until combined.
- Add vanilla extract and taste. Season with salt. If you enjoy your ravo thinner, you can add more milk at this time.
- Pour into a serving bowl and decorate with almonds and raisins and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!