If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The best way to make roasted chickpeas at home is to start with dried chickpeas. It is easier and more economical than using waterlogged canned chickpeas. But the best part about this recipe is that there is no boiling for hours to cook the chickpeas. The steps are simply: soak, microwave and roast. The end result is a crunchy, wholesome snack. I have made them salty but you can replace the salt with any flavourings of your choice! —annika
Makes enough to fill a 750 ml jar
- 1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wash and soak chickpeas overnight or at least 6-8 hours. Be sure to use a large bowl and at least 4 cups of water for soaking.
- Once the chickpeas have soaked, rinse and strain them. Put them in a microwaveable bowl and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and using a slotted spoon (cause we don’t want any of the water that may have accumulated) put chickpeas on a large plate (or use two plates) lined with a clean tea towel or paper towels.
- Let the chickpeas sit for awhile. We want the towels to absorb as much water as possible and for the chickpeas to be as dry as possible. At this point you can preheat the oven to 375°F using the convection roast setting.
- Transfer chickpeas to baking dish, stir in oil and ensure all the chickpeas are well covered. Also, use a baking dish that is sufficiently large enough so the chickpeas can be placed in a single layer (a rimmed cookie sheet works well).
- Roast for 10 minutes then rotate the baking dish (for even roasting) and roast for another 10 minutes. Repeat this for another set of 3 minutes and then in sets of 1 minute until the chickpeas are golden brown and crisp. It is important to check often after the 25 minute mark as they can go from perfectly golden brown to burnt very quickly. It takes me a total of 30 minutes for the whole roasting process.
- Remove from oven and place in a dry bowl, toss with 1 tsp salt. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container. If they have been well roasted and stored in a dry location (no moisture remaining), they can keep for months. If you wish to not use salt, you may replace the salt here with the spices or herbs of your choice.