I love the earthy richness of this dish, the meat falls apart and melts in your mouth. This is one of my favorite meals on a nice cold winter day. It pairs great with creamy polenta or potatoes. —ADRIENE
- Serves 6-8
boneless beef short ribs
yellow onions (small dice)
garlic cloves (minced)
carrots (medium chunks)
fresh thyme minced
salt & pepper
In This Recipe
- Add the olive oil to a large (wide) heavy pot and start heating. Add the diced onions and sugar and cook until it starts to caramelize, about 15 minutes. Scoop out onions and set aside. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Season the short ribs heavily with salt and pepper and dregde lightly in flour. Brown the pieces in the pot until nice and golden brown on all sides. Do not over crowd the pan, do in several batches if you need to so the meat can brown. Set the beef aside on a plate.
- Add the onions back into the pot and add in the garlic and carrots and saute another couple minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine. Make sure to scrape up all of the bits from the bottom of the pan. Now add in the beef stock and short ribs.
- Bring the dish up to a boil and then cover loosely and put in the oven. Cook for about 2 hours in the oven. Then put on the stove top and reduce down by 1/4. Adjust the salt and pepper. Finish by adding in the thyme and butter. Enjoy!