If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Quatre Epices Roast Duck with RawSpiceBar’s Quatre Epices —RawSpiceBar
- 1 packet RawSpiceBar’s Quatre Epices
- 6 pieces duck legs (4 pounds total)
- 1 piece garlic
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil or duck fat
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pieces shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 30 ounces duck fat
- Mince and mash 4 garlic cloves to a paste with a pinch of kosher salt. Stir together paste, kosher salt, thyme, RawSpiceBar’s Quatre Epices and shallots in a large bowl. Add duck legs and toss to coat, cover and chill, at least 1 day.
- Melt duck fat in a wide large heavy pot over low heat, then cook remaining garlic cloves and duck legs, uncovered, over low heat until fat registers approximately 190°F, about 1 hour. Continue to cook duck, until a wooden pick slides easily into thighs, 2 to 3 hours more.
- Transfer duck to a large bowl. Strain duck fat through a sieve, then pour strained fat over duck legs. Cool to room temperature, about 2 hours, then chill, covered, at least 8 hours.
- Remove duck from fat, then cook, skin side down, in a large heavy nonstick skillet over low heat, covered, until skin is crisp, 15 to 20 minutes