If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Folar de Olhão is a cake from southern Portugal. Reminiscent of a cinnamon bun, it's baked in layers and scented with fennel and aguardiente.
Fore more about the cake: http://bit.ly/2iu0bnK —Andrea Bearce Duty
Makes 1 8-inch cake
- 180 grams butter, melted and cooled
- 50 milliliters milk
- 200 milliliters fresh orange juice
- 50 milliliters aguardiente or brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet yeast
- 500 grams flour
- 120 grams butter, melted
- 200 grams brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- For the Dough: Combine the dry ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. In a separate bowl, whisk together the liquid ingredients until combined. Pour the liquid into the dry mixture and turn the mixer on medium speed. Once a cohesive dough is formed, continue to knead in the mixer for about five minutes. Cover with plastic and allow to rise in warm place until double in size, about an hour and a half.
- For the Filling: Stir all the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- To assemble: Butter an 8-inch ring mold or cake pan and place on a sheet tray. Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a rectangle. Cut the dough into 12 squares, then roll each square into a ball. Use a rolling pin to roll each dough ball into a thin circle about 8 inches in diameter. This doesn’t have to be exact.
- Place one circle of dough at the bottom of the pan or ring mold. Spread about 1 ½ tablespoons of filling on top of the dough. Repeat layering and filling with the rest of the, finishing with the filling on top.
- Cover the pan or ring mold with plastic and allow to rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Bake the folar for 45 minutes. Allow the cake to cool for a few minutes, then turn the pan upside down or remove to ring mol while the gooey filling is still hot. If you have any trouble with this, use an offset spatula to loosen the sides of the cake from the pan.
- Cut into slices and serve warm or at room temperature.