Author Notes: These gorgeous meringues are easy to make and perfect for a rainbow party! —Teresa Ulyate
Makes: 15 meringues
large egg whites, room temperature
grams castor sugar
small pinch of salt
teaspoon vanilla extract
gel food colouring
- Preheat your oven to 120°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the egg whites in a large bowl. Whisk until stiff peaks form when the beater is lifted. Add the castor sugar one tablespoonful at a time, whisking well between each addition. The mixture should have a smooth texture, not grainy. Whisk in the salt and vanilla extract.
- Place a drop or two (see cook's notes above) of gel food colouring inside the piping bag near the nozzle. Use a skewer to scrape the drop up the side of the piping bag, i.e. the bag should have streaks of colour running up the sides. Spoon the meringue into the bag.
- Pipe the meringues onto the tray, allowing some space between for spreading. Bake for 1 hour. Switch the oven off, keep the oven closed and leave the meringues for a further hour.
- Allow the meringues to cool. Store in an airtight container.