Author Notes: Tickly throat? Cough? Congestion? Any time I feel a cold coming on, I start taking shots of my homemade Rawkstar Tonic (aka: Fire Cider).
—Simple Green Smoothies
cup fresh ginger root, grated
cup fresh horseradish root, grated
garlic cloves, crushed or chopped
jalapeno peppers, chopped
lemon, zest and juice
apple cider vinegar
- Dice, peel and chop all ingredients into small pieces and toss into a bowl. (If you've never grated fresh horseradish, it can be intense!)
- Mix it all together and scoop into a quart-sized mason jar.
- Pour apple cider vinegar on top of all ingredients until completely submerged.
- Cover with an airtight lid. (You can place a piece of parchment paper under the lid to keep the vinegar from touching the metal, or use a plastic lid if you have one.)
- Shake well.
- Store in a dark, cool place for a month (like the back of a pantry) and shake every few days.
- After a month, pour contents through a sieve to separate the liquid from the solids.
- Pour the liquid that went through the sieve in a sterilized clean jar in the fridge— this is your Rawkstar Tonic. When you feel the onset of a tickly throat, congestion, cough— take a shot glass full of this a few times a day.