If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fantastic comfort food - creamy butternut soup with a hint of spice. —Teresa Ulyate
Makes 6 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 baby leeks, sliced
- 4 celery sticks (about 10cm) sliced
- 500 grams peeled and cubed butternut
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- large pinch of sea salt flakes
- ½ teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 liter chicken or vegetable stock
- 150 milliliters cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- cream/parsley/black pepper/flaked almonds to garnish (optional)
- toasted ciabatta to serve (optional)
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot over a low heat. Add the onion, leeks, celery, butternut and potatoes. Cover the pot and leave the vegetables to sweat for 10 minutes. Shake the pan regularly to prevent them from sticking to the bottom.
- Increase the heat to medium. Add the salt, turmeric, ginger and cinnamon and stir for a minute or two. Add the stock and stir well. Leave to simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Set the pot aside to cool for a few minutes. Use a food processor or stick blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the cream and sherry. Heat through over a low heat. Check the seasoning and serve.