If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Biryani is a rice-based dish, which is made by cooking rice with marinated meat (or vegetables), with yoghurt and warm spices. It’s typically made with Basmati or any long grain rice and has many variations all over India. It can be made with chicken, lamb or beef. The vegetarian biryani is typically made with paneer (Indian cottage cheese) and fresh vegetables. Traditionally, this is a slow-cooked recipe that takes a couple of hours to make. I’ve made a 30 minute version of it using my electric pressure cooker- the Instant Pot.
This recipe uses a few extra ingredients like coriander powder, chaat masala and paprika, which bumps up the flavor, making this a crowd pleaser when I entertain. Multiplying this recipe is easy. To double up this recipe, create alternate layers of chicken and rice, basically repeating step 3 in the order mentioned.
Enjoy it with a chunky Cucumber-Mint Raita (cucumber yoghurt dip- recipe in ingredients section), or a Garden salad with a squeeze of lime. Check out a detailed and video recipe at:
https://youtu.be/PKvNCKdYC6Y; http://garammasalakitchen.com/chicken-biryani-in-instant-pot —Garam Masala Kitchen
MARINADE for CHICKEN:
- 1-1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoons red chili powder or cayenne
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Juice of a lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint & cilantro
- 1 tablespoon melted butter for topping
- 8-10 whole cashews
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron soaked in 2 tbsp. warm milk
- 1 teaspoon garam masala for topping
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala for cooking rice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro & mint
- 1/4 cup fried onion (store bought)
- 2 cups basmati rice (or any long grain rice)
- Rinse and soak rice in warm water. Prepare marinade by mixing together yoghurt, olive oil, lime juice, ginger-garlic paste, salt, spices, 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro & mint. Mix well. Add the chicken thighs and coat well with marinade. Keep aside while you par-boil the rice.
- Rinse and strain rice. In boiling water add the rice along with 1/2 teaspoon garam masala and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Cook rice on high-heat for 5 minutes. Turn the heat off and strain the rice. This step can also be done in the microwave for the same time.
- Turn on the Instant Pot on sauté mode. Layer chicken evenly. Top with the remaining marinade. Layer the par-boiled rice evenly all over the chicken. Sprinkle fried onions on top followed by chopped cilantro-mint. Add cashews and sprinkle 1 teaspoon garam masala. Pour the saffron-milk evenly followed by melted butter.
- Close the lid. Turn off sauté. Press Manual (High pressure) for 6 minutes, while the vent is in sealing position. Allow for pressure to release naturally. Open the lid and carefully fluff up the biryani without breaking the rice. Enjoy as-is or with a cucumber-yoghurt dip!