If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Keema Matar or Keema Mutter, is an Indian dish where minced meat (Keema) is simmered with warm Indian spices (garam masala) and finished by sautéing with Green Peas (Matar). This dish, like many meat dishes in the northern part of India, is said to have Persian roots and was brought to India by the Mughals. The simplicity and ease of this dish makes it a weeknight wonder, and it’s elegance makes it an entertaining classic. It is said that during the Mughal period, the royals used to serve it on special occasions.
This easy recipe can be customized in your style. You can add your ground meat of choice- chicken, turkey, beef or lamb. Peas can be substituted with potatoes and you have yourself another classic from the book called “Keema Aloo (Minced meat with potatoes)”. This is a semi-dry dish and can be enjoyed with Naan, pita bread or with simple basmati rice. —Garam Masala Kitchen
- 1 pound ground meat (chicken, turkey, lamb, beef)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste (1/2 inch ginger + 3 cloves garlic)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water, to be added in two parts
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Finely chop onion and ginger-garlic. Turn on the Instant Pot DUO on Sauté. Wait 30 seconds for it to warm up. Add oil and chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for a minute.
- Add salt and all dry spices and sauté for 30 seconds. Add 1/4 cup water and 3 tablespoons of tomato paste. (Adding water makes it easier to stir and blend the tomato paste.) Stir and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup water and ground meat. Adding the water with the meat helps in incorporating the spice mix with the meat. Use a wooden spoon or a tall spatula to break the meat it into smaller chunks. Mix it well.
- Close the lid. Set valve to Sealing. Cook on Manual for 10 minutes and then release the pressure manually (QR). If using ground chicken or turkey, reduce the cook time to 8 minutes.
- Open the lid, turn Instant pot on Saute. Add frozen or fresh peas. Sauté for 1-2 minutes till the extra liquid evaporates and peas cook through. Turn off the IP. Stir in some fresh chopped cilantro and you're done!