If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Full recipe: http://garammasalakitchen.com/keema-matar-quesadillas-spicy-minced-meat-peas-quesadillas
Keema Matar or Keema Mutter, is an Indian dish where minced meat (Keema) is simmered with warm Indian spices (garam masala) and finished by sautéing with Green Peas (Matar). This dish, like many meat dishes in the northern part of India, is said to have Persian roots and was brought to India by the Mughals. The simplicity and ease of this dish makes it a weeknight wonder, and it’s elegance makes it an entertaining classic. It is said that during the Mughal period, the royals used to serve it on special occasions. For a detailed recipe for making Keema Matar, click here!
I am always looking for ways to jazz up classic dishes or fun ways to use left-overs. That’s how this dish was born! To make these delicious quesadillas, use your favorite brand of tortillas- flour or wholegrain. I use wholegrain tortillas with flax seeds from Trader Joe’s, they have a very nice earthy taste to them. Account for 1-1.5 tortillas per person. You will also need shredded cheese of your choice. I used shredded pepper jack cheese. goes really well with the spiced meat. To make Keema Quesadillas, I simply spread the left-over meat in a tortilla, top it with some shredded pepper jack cheese, and grill it- how can you go wrong with that! —Garam Masala Kitchen
For Keema Matar:
- 1 pound ground meat (chicken, turkey, lamb, beef)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste (1/2 inch ginger + 3 cloves garlic)
- 1 small onion, fine chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water to be added in 2 parts
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1.5 cups shredded pepper jack cheese (or your favorite cheese)
- 6-8 Tortillas (Flour or wholegrain)
- few tablespoons oil for pan grilling
- Finely chop onion and ginger-garlic. Turn on the Instant Pot DUO on Sauté. Wait 30 seconds for it to warm up. Add oil and chopped onions and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for a minute.
- Add salt and all dry spices and sauté for 30 seconds. Add 1/4 cup water and 3 tablespoons of tomato paste. (Adding water makes it easier to stir and blend the tomato paste.) Stir and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup water and ground meat. Adding the water with the meat helps in incorporating the spice mix with the meat. Use a wooden spoon or a tall spatula to break the meat it into smaller chunks. Mix it well.
- Close the lid. Set valve to Sealing. Cook on Manual for 10 minutes and then release the pressure manually (QR). If using ground chicken or turkey, reduce the cook time to 8 minutes.
- Open the lid, turn Instant pot on Saute. Add frozen or fresh peas. Sauté for 1-2 minutes till the extra liquid evaporates and peas cook through. Turn off the IP. Stir in some fresh chopped cilantro and Keema Matar is ready!
- Now, for assembling the quesadillas, spread 1/4 cup Keema mix on one half of a tortilla. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons cheese on it. Fold over the tortilla in half.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat and drizzle some oil in it. Place the quesadillas in and cook for 2 minutes per side, or till golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool for 2 minutes. Cut them into slices using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife. Serve with your favorite Mexican condiment- sour cream, salsa or a cabbage slaw salad!