If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Full recipe at: http://garammasalakitchen.com/kung-pao-chicken-or-tofu
Kung Pao Chicken is asian comfort food for me. Tender juicy chicken, crunchy onions, peppers and celery, dressed with a light garlicky sauce, which is a perfect blend of salty & sweet goodness. Peanuts complete this dish by adding a slight crunch. I don’t even need rice or chowmein with it, I can eat a bowl full as-is. —Garam Masala Kitchen
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons Honey
- 2 teaspoons Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sambal Oelek
- 1 teaspoon Corn Starch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken cut into 1 inch pieces (thigh or breast)
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated or fine chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, grated or fine chopped
- 1 cup chopped Celery (about 2 ribs)
- 1 cup chopped Carrots or Zucchini (about 2 carrots or 1 zucchini)
- 1/2 onions, cut into quarters
- 1 cup broccoli florets (optional)
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons roasted unsalted peanuts (for finishing)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil (for finishing)
- Prep: Chop the vegetable and keep aside. Mix all ingredients listed under sauce and whisk till cornstarch is incorporated. Keep aside. Chop chicken or Tofu and keep aside.
- Turn Instant Pot on Saute mode, Adjust heat level to 'more'. Wait till it displays "hot". Add ginger-garlic, sauté for 15 seconds. Add chopped chicken pieces and sauté for 3-4 minutes till chicken is almost cooked. Add vegetables and sauté for another 3-4 minutes. If making this with Tofu, add that with the vegetables.
- Check if the chicken is done. Give the sauce another good stir and add it to the pot. Stir the sauce around to coat chicken and vegetables with the sauce. Add sesame oil and stir. Turn off the sauté mode. Add peanuts and serve with white or brown Jasmine rice.
- Another way to cook this in your Instant Pot would be to pressure cook the chicken and veggies for 1 minute on Manual, QR, and then sauté with the sauce till it all comes together.