Author Notes: Impress your guests this holiday season with an eco-friendly and sustainable organic menu from duBreton. The largest producer of organic and Certified Humane pork in North America, duBreton believes that Better choices change the world, even if it’s only one ingredient at a time.
Forgot to make your fruitcake in time for the holidays? Finish your meal with Cranberry-Bacon-Apple Upside-Down Cake. Your guests will be surprised with your originality, and will be asking for seconds. Served hot or cold, this dessert is sure to become a classic for years to come. —dubreton
slices duBreton Organic Smoked Bacon, chopped into small pieces (approximately 1 cm)
cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup raw sugar
apples, peeled and sliced thinly
cups unbleached all-purpose flour
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon baking soda
cup butter, softened
cup ginger kombucha
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- In a pan, cook the bacon for 7 to 8 minutes or until crisp. Add cranberries, 1/3 cup (80mL) sugar and 1/3 cup (80mL) water. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, line the bottom of a 9 in. (23 cm) round baking tin with parchment paper. Pour mixture into baking tin and fan the apple slices over top
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
- In a separate large bowl using a mixer, or in a standing mixer, mix the butter with 1/2 cup (125mL) sugar. Add eggs and beat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the kombucha then add dry ingredients while continuing to beat gently.
- Spread batter over top of apple slices then bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes. Place a large plate on top of the cake tin and turn the tin upside-down to turn out the cake.
- Tip: Cake can be served hot or cold