Author Notes: Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treats for Toys is an annual campaign that transforms toy-inspired treats into real toys for children. Create your own treat, and share a photo on social media or upload to www.TreatsForToys.ca, and Kellogg Canada will donate $20 to The Salvation Army to buy a toy for a child that would otherwise go without. Recipe courtesy of Julie Van Rosendaal from www.DinnerWithJulie.com. —Rice Krispies #TreatsForToys
milliliters margarine or butter
grams regular marshmallows
milliliters vanilla extract (optional)
liters Rice Krispies cereal
Small round candies
- Prepare Rice Krispies mixture: Melt margarine in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows, stir until melted. Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract and Rice Krispies. Stir until well coated. Let cool.
- Once cooled but still warm, shape a handful of mixture into the duck’s body. Take a small amount of the mixture and roll it into the shape of the duck’s head. Take an even smaller amount of the mixture to shape the tail.
- Attach the head and the tail to either ends of the body while still warm to make sure they stick.
- Attach a yellow gumdrop to the front of the duck using icing for the beak.
- Using yellow icing, draw wings on the sides and lines on the tail and head to represent feathers.
- For the eyes, attach one round candy to either side of the head using icing.