Author Notes: Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treats for Toys is an annual campaign that transforms toy-inspired treats into real toys for children. Create your own treat, and share a photo on social media or upload to www.TreatsForToys.ca, and Kellogg Canada will donate $20 to The Salvation Army to buy a toy for a child that would otherwise go without. Recipe courtesy of Julie Van Rosendaal from www.DinnerWithJulie.com. —Rice Krispies #TreatsForToys
milliliters margarine or butter
grams regular marshmallows
milliliters vanilla extract (optional)
liters Rice Krispies cereal
Coloured icing of your choice
Assorted candies of your choice
- Prepare Rice Krispies mixture: Melt margarine in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows, stir until melted. Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract and Rice Krispies. Stir until well coated. Let cool.
- Once cooled, roll and shape the mixture into a long cylinder about two inches thick that tapers off on one end.
- Cut the cylinder into six equal-sized sections that will make up the body, with the tapered end making up the tail.
- Shape the head to include a mouth.
- Assemble the body with round candies between each section and attach with icing.
- Decorate your toy snake using different colours of icing for each section. Attach licorice string to the back for a tail and two round candies for eyes using icing. Don’t forget a flat candy with a V cut out of the end for the tongue!