Author Notes: Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treats for Toys is an annual campaign that transforms toy-inspired treats into real toys for children. Create your own treat, and share a photo on social media or upload to www.TreatsForToys.ca, and Kellogg Canada will donate $20 to The Salvation Army to buy a toy for a child that would otherwise go without. Recipe courtesy of Michelle Jobin from www.michellejobin.com. —Rice Krispies #TreatsForToys
milliliters margarine or butter
grams regular marshmallows
milliliters vanilla extract (optional)
liters Rice Krispies cereal
Assorted candies of your choice
Icing of your choice
White chocolate wafers
- Prepare Rice Krispies mixture: Melt margarine in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows, stir until melted. Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract and Rice Krispies. Stir until well coated. Press 3/4 mixture into a greased pan, approximately 1.5 inches thick. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, using one large handful of the remaining mixture, form a ball for the body of the helicopter.
- Cut a wedge shape for tail of helicopter. Cut a small wedge or triangle shape for the rudder. Cut two long, narrow rectangles to make the base of the helicopter. Cut an X shape to form the blades.
- Assemble your helicopter using melted white chocolate, skewers and candies.
- Affix your blades or X to top of body of helicopter, using a skewer. The rotor will spin!
- Decorate the helicopter as you like. Don’t forget the lights and windows!