If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Many health experts recommend preparing your own meals if you want to lose weight or maintain your health. That’s because even when you’re dining at the best steakhouse and seafood restaurants, it’s very easy to gobble up too many calories and unhealthy macronutrients.
However, sometimes you just need to treat yourself to the best restaurant in town. Luckily for you, it doesn’t mean that you’re limited to tasteless dishes and tiny portions. You just need to make sure that you’re aware of what you’re eating so you can make the right choices.
To help you out, here is a quick guide on what to should order if you’re looking to maintaining your health:
Healthy Options for Steak
Regardless of the cut of steak you order, it’s best if you make it a habit to trim any visible fat on the meat. Steak fans should also try to pick the healthier dishes on the menu:
· You can try a top sirloin, though on the menu it may be called just “sirloin.” When you get a 9-ounce portion, that’s only a little less than 400 calories. That’s only a bit higher in calories than if you ordered the amount of skinless chicken breast. If you have the option to get a 7-ounce serving, take it. That’s only less than 300 calories.
· When ordering a New York strip, the calorie content is approximately the same as a chicken breast. It’s just that the serving size for the New York strip that tends to be a bit larger. Usually the serving can go up to 12 ounces, and that can give you up to 650 calories. It makes sense if you share it with a friend so you only get half the serving and the calories.
· Of course, you can always go for the filet. Not only is it a tasty choice, it’s also rich in protein. A 9-ounce serving goes at about 340 calories, while a 6-ounce serving cuts the calories down to 220.
· What about the sides? You don’t have to deprive yourself of some tasty sides since you also have healthy options. Try getting sautéed spinach or steamed broccoli. You can also order the broiled tomatoes and asparagus as long as you remember to avoid the hollandaise. These dishes are normally less than 160 calories for each serving.
Healthy Options for Seafood
Obviously you need to avoid the fried platters if you want a healthy seafood dish. These dishes can exceed a thousand calories, and you end up consuming a greater amount of fat than protein. Instead, you need healthier options.
· To start, try oysters on the half shell or shrimp cocktails. They’re not just high-protein dishes, but they’re low-calorie too. The cocktail sauce is 25 calories with just 5 grams of carbs per tablespoon.
· Order the seafood gumbo, which comes in at 250 calories at the most. That even goes down when you skip the rice.
· You can also order lobster, fish, or shrimp, as long as it’s steamed, boiled, or grilled. Each 6-ounce serving of these dishes provide 150 to 300 calories, and they’re all rich with protein too. You can also ask for buttery or creamy sauces and toppings on the side.
· As for other side dishes, go with grilled or steamed veggies. Mixed greens or a spinach salad are also great choices. Just avoid the onion rings and fries.
As you can see, you can pick healthy dishes in certain restaurants. So enjoy yourself, with the knowledge that at least you’re not busting your diet or your budget! —Veselina Dzhingarova