If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Macaroni, make way for tater tots. Baked until crispy, smothered in cheese sauce, and then broiled until bubbly and colorful, this sheet-pan-style casserole was made to be served alongside a mustard-dressed salad. A cold beer wouldn't hurt, either. —Emma Laperruque
Food52 Review: Featured in: For the Best Mac and Cheese, Use Tater Tots —The Editors
Serves 6 to 8
- 2 1/2 pounds frozen tater tots
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 3/4 cups whole milk, warmed
- 4 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar (about 12 ounces), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Heat the oven to 450° F. Add the tots to a rimmed sheet tray. Bake for about 25 minutes until very colorful and crisp.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a medium pot. Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute. Add a splash of milk. Whisk until smooth. Another splash. Whisk. Repeat this until you’ve added all the milk. Continue to cook—whisking constantly but slowly—until the béchamel is thick enough to coat a spoon and the whisk leaves a trail. Add half the grated cheese, plus the salt and mustard. Whisk until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary (just remember, the tots are salty!).
- When the tots are done, remove from the oven. Turn on the broiler. Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the tots and use a rubber spatula to smooth out. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Slider under the broiler. Depending on your oven, you may need to rotate the sheet pan to encourage evenness—the goal is bubbly and browned.
- Let cool for a few minutes. Serve hot.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!