Author Notes: Recipe courtesy of Abbey Sharp of Abbey’s Kitchen for Green & Black’s —greenandblacks
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 20 min
cups Medjool dates, pitted and diced
teaspoons tahini paste
pinches fleur de sel
tablespoons brown rice cereal
grams Green & Black’s 70% Dark Chocolate, chopped
teaspoons coconut oil
Fleur de sel, for garnish
- To prepare the caramel, puree dates in a food processor or blender until sticky and smooth. Add tahini and salt, and puree again until smooth. Set aside 1/3 of the caramel mixture (approximately 1 cup/250mL) in one bowl for the filling.
- Add brown rice cereal to remaining caramel mixture (approximately 2 cups/500ml) and mix thoroughly. Take approximately 2 Tbsp. (30mL) of the brown rice caramel mixture and roll into a ball in the palm of your hand. Use your finger or thumb to put a large indent into the ball. Fill indent with approximately 1 Tbsp. (15mL) of caramel date mixture. Take another small bit of brown rice caramel mixture to cover indent and roll it into a ball. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with remaining mixture to create approximately 20 truffles and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set dark chocolate on the top portion of a double boiler, or place chocolate in a glass bowl and set over a pot with 1-inch (2.5 cm) simmering water, over low heat. Add coconut oil and gently melt.
- Remove balls from freezer. Insert a toothpick or skewer into a ball and dip in the chocolate until fully coated. Repeat for all truffles. Transfer to baking sheet and sprinkle generously with fleur de sel.
- NOTE: Refrigerate until ready to eat.