Author Notes: SIMÒ Pizza is new to Manhattan’s Meatpacking District and the restaurant is serving up a delicious Cacio E Pepe Pizza. If you’re in Manhattan, be sure to stop by (90-92 Gansevoort Street), if not here’s the recipe to make it at home! —Staff Writer
Makes: one pizza
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 2 min
grams lukewarm water
grams dry yeast
grams pecorino romano
grams mozzarella di bufala
Black pepper to taste
Extra virgin olive oil
- Add two tablespoons of water to the yeast until it dissolves and set it to the side.
- Dissolve the salt in the remaining water and mix it for one minute.
- Start mixing flour with the salt water combination for three minutes, and then add the dissolved yeast and continue to mix, kneading the dough, for three minutes.
- Let the dough rest in a container for three hours, covered, then roll into four balls of equal size; let rise for five hours covered with a wet towel or tight plastic wrap.
- Put the oven on at the maximum temp (550F ideally). Once it has reached the temp, insert a pizza stone and let it saturate for at least one hour.
- Spread the dough in a 12-inch pie, add the pecorino, extra virgin olive oil, basil, and pepper. Cook for 2 min.
- Then add the mozzarella and cook for an extra 1 minute.