If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Where brussels sprouts are concerned, a tender center and crispy brown caramelized edges are what really make this vegetable irresistable. The lemon zest brightens everything, the toasted breadcrumbs add a lovely nuttiness and the parmesan adds a savory undercurrent of tangy goodness. —theyearinfood
pounds Brussels sprouts
cup toasted breadcrumbs (instructions below)
cup finely grated Parmesan
tablespoons lemon zest
tablespoon finely ground black pepper
teaspoon sea salt
tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- To make breadcrumbs: Use the remains of an old baguette. Chop or break into pieces with a sharp knife. Process in the food processor until you have the texture of breadcrumb you desire. To toast them you can either use a toaster oven at 300 degrees until golden brown (this should only take a few minutes), or brown them in a pan. If using a pan, stir frequently so that they don’t burn.
- Rinse Brussels sprouts. Remove stems and slice each Brussels sprout in half lengthwise.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts in the olive oil. Arrange them so that the cut side faces down on a large baking sheet. Roast them until nicely browned at the edges and tender in the center, about 30-35 minutes. (This will vary depending on the size of the sprout and how brown you would like them.)
- While the brussels sprouts are browning, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan, salt and pepper with a fork. Add the lemon zest last – it may clump a little, so break it up with the fork if necessary.
- When the brussels sprouts are ready – tender, with a darker shade of green and nicely caramelized edges – transfer them to a glass bowl. Slowly sift the breadcrumb mixture in with the sprouts - it is possible that you may not use the entire mixture.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side