Author Notes: Recipe courtesy of Chef Andrea Nicholson for duBreton Certified Humane® and Organic Pork
Just in time for International Bacon Day on September 1st, we’ve developed the ultimate bacon breakfast marrying Canadian palate pleasers. Avocado Toast meets Organic Smoked Bacon that is Certified Humane® in this premium dish.
—Chef Andrea Nicholson
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 20 min
2 (300 g)
large avocados (almost ripe, a bit firm to the touch)
8 (250 g)
strips duBreton Organic Smoked Bacon
1/8 tsp (0.6 g)
toasted ground cumin
1/8 tsp (0.4 g)
Ancho chili powder
salt and pepper, to taste
chili flakes, to taste
3 (25 g)
sprigs of basil, torn
8 (88 g)
shallot, finely minced
3 Tbsp. (15mL)
4 (200 g)
slices toasted country loaf, sliced 1/8 thick
- Mix together the ricotta with a pinch of salt, zest of 1 lemon and set into the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet and set it aside.
- Stretch the bacon to elongate the strips. Cut both avocados into 8 wedges each. Gently remove the avocado skin.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each avocado wedge, starting from one point, rolling to the next. Wrapping tightly ensuring you don’t break the wedge. Sprinkle the wedges lightly with ancho chili powder, cumin, and salt to taste.
- Place the avocado wedges on the baking sheet with the bacon ends tucked underneath. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the bacon is crispy. Cool on a paper towel lined plate to drain off the excess fat.
- While the avocados are cooking, mix together the cherry tomatoes, shallots, olive oil, chill flakes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Remove the ricotta from the fridge and spread generously and evenly over toasted bread. Top each toast with 2 pieces of bacon wrapped avocado.
- Spoon cherry tomato shallot mixture over top. Place in a platter, serve and enjoy!