If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
ounces guanciale, cut into 1 1/2 x 1/2-inch strips
Cored insides of 6 zucchini, roughly chopped
pound rigatoni, mezze maniche, paccheri, or other tubular pasta
cup grated Pecorino Romano
Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over low heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, add the guanciale and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add the zucchini, season with salt, and cook until the zucchini is softened and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil over high heat. Salt the water. When the salt has dissolved, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- Add a ladle of the pasta cooking water to the skillet with the zucchini and bring to a simmer. When the pasta is very al dente, drain, reserving the cooking water. Add the pasta and another ladle of its cooking water to the pan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring vigorously, until a thick sauce forms, adding more water if necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and, add 3/4 cup of the Pecorino Romano, and mix thoroughly. Season to taste.
- Plate and sprinkle each portion with some of the remaining Pecorino Romano and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.