If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sorting through my holiday recipes, I stumbled on an old favorite. This pudding goes well with turkey, chicken, pork or beef, a versatile side dish for cold weather gatherings. Be certain to slowly caramelize the onions to encourage their rich flavor. - Lizthechef —Lizthechef
Food52 Review: WHO: Lizthechef is a seasoned, devoted home cook, retired social worker, and blogger.
WHAT: A simple, no-fuss savory pudding to make over and over again.
HOW: Get a deep caramelization on the onions, mix with the rest of the ingredients, and bake.
WHY WE LOVE IT: At first glance, this seems like it would resemble a crustless quiche -- but it's even more refined than that. Make sure to take your time while caramelizing the onions; they are the star of the dish. This would make a perfect, elegant side dish for a holiday meal -- and is quick enough to whip up for a weeknight dinner, too. —Food52
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled, sliced and cut into half circles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon AP unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter. When melted, add the onions and the thyme. Cook slowly, over medium-low heat, until the onions turn limp and brown.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a mixer, beat the eggs. Add the dry ingredients and mix well over medium speed.
- Lower the mixer speed and add the cream.
- Grease a medium-sized gratin dish. Add the onions. Cover with the pudding mixture.
- Bake 40 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side