Author Notes: Gluten Free & Vegan —Anna Gevorkyan
Makes: 8-10 tortillas
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 10 min
cups buckwheat flour
tablespoons olive oil
teaspoon baking powder
cup hot water
teaspoon salt (optional)
In This Recipe
- Place all ingredients in a mixer bowl, or a mixing bowl, and stir to combine until a crumbly batter is formed (about 3 minutes).
- Form a large ball and place on a clean surface to knead into a dough. The dough should be soft and resemble regular dough texture after you are finished.
- Divide the dough into half, then each half into another half, and so on. Make even size balls with your hands. You should be able to form about 16-18 small balls, or 10 large ones.
- If you are using a tortilla press, gently press each ball into a flat tortilla. If you are using a rolling pin, gently squish with fingers each ball into a flat circle then roll as thin as possible. Carefully remove each tortilla as at this point they are very gentle.
- Place each tortilla on a preheated frying pan and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side. Bubbles should form, and you should watch closely not to burn them. Repeat until all tortillas are cooked.
- Tips Use the flat mixer attachment, do not use the dough hook as it will not work as well for this recipe. Lightly flour the surface if the dough is sticky. The longer you cook, the dryer they will become and may turn into tortilla chips. Lower the temperature to medium heat if you see the pan is too hot. Let them completely cool before storing in an air tight container, and enjoy within 1-2 days. You can also freeze some and reheat later.