Author Notes: Summer will be here before you know it and if you’re looking for a fun, sweet treat to beat the heat with, this Maple Bacon Ice Cream is the perfect solution. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and decadently creamy and refreshing. With swirls of coconut milk caramel and smoky caramelized tempeh (we love Tofurky’s Smoky Maple Bacon Tempeh because it crumbles perfectly and already has that sweet, smoky bacon-flavor). Make it for your Memorial Day barbecue, as a fun activity to entertain kids on summer break or just pint to keep in the freezer for whenever your sweet tooth kicks in. —Contributor
Prep time: 2 hrs
Cook time: 1 hrs
Maple Bacon Ice Cream
pints vegan ice cream (we love So Delicious!)
tablespoons pure maple syrup
tablespoons brown sugar
teaspoon cayenne pepper
package Tofurky Smoky Maple Bacon Tempeh
ounces can of coconut milk
cup evaporated cane juice (or preferred vegan sugar)
teaspoon fine sea salt
vanilla bean (seeds scraped. pod reserved)
- Preheat oven to 400F and lightly oil a baking sheet or line with parchment.
- Lay bacon slices on baking sheet and brush with maple syrup
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cayenne. Sprinkle sugar over bacon and bake until caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool then chop into small pieces.
- Let ice cream soften and transfer to a medium bowl. Fold in pecans and bacon pieces. Transfer ice cream mixture to a loaf pan, press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the ice cream and freeze at least 2 hours.
- For the caramel sauce, in a wide saucepan, combine coconut milk, sugar, salt and vanilla bean seeds/pod. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until sauce turns deep brown and thickens into a caramel-like consistency, roughly 30-40 minutes.
- If caramel hardens after cooling, heat it gently, whisking frequently and add more coconut milk until caramel reaches desired consistency. Drizzle on top of your ice cream and enjoy!