Author Notes: With a crispy, crackly outside and a dense and velvety center, this cake is one to please a variety of palettes. This version of Maialino's classic olive oil cake recipe leans slightly more towards tropical with flavors of grapefruit and rum to accompany the rich olive oil taste. Sour cream has also supplemented some of the olive oil to bring out a subtle tang in the overall cake. This cake is pictured here with a grapefruit cream cheese frosting, but could be equally as decadent with a dollop of unsweetened whipped cream and fresh fruit, or a simple glaze drizzled over top. —Kylie Berryhill
Makes: one 9-inch round cake
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hrs 10 min
cups all-purpose flour
cups granulated sugar
teaspoons kosher salt
teaspoon baking soda
teaspoon baking powder
cup extra-virgin olive oil
cup sour cream
cups whole milk
tablespoons grated grapefruit zest
cup fresh grapefruit juice
cup dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan (or deep dish pie plate) and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk or sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another large mixing bowl combine olive oil, sour cream, milk, eggs, grapefruit zest, juice, and rum. Mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Dump dry mix into wet mix and whisk until just combined. (May be slightly lumpy still, that's ok!)
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until cake tester comes out completely clean. Remove from oven and cool in pan for 30 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and continue to let cool on rack for an additional 2 hours, or until completely cooled.