Whenever I make mashed potatoes I always have leftovers. Now, I love mashed potatoes but sometimes you need to shake it up a little.
This recipe is a great way to repurpose them and honestly great enough, that it's worth making mashed potatoes just to have this cooking the next day.
—@ostreetkitchen - Becca Jacobs
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Makes 8 Fritters
flour in a shallow bowl
- Finely chop broccoli, garlic, & onion.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the neutral oil in a skillet on medium-high, add broccoli, garlic, & onion to the pan.
- Wait 3-4 minutes until you start to hear a good sizzle, add 2 tablespoons of water and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until broccoli is fork tender. Let it cool.
- Combine 3 cups cold mashed potatoes, 1 tablespoon flour, 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese, broccoli/garlic/onion mixture, salt, & pepper.
- Place a wire rack over a parchment or paper towel lined baking sheet. Leave this near where you plan on frying your fritters.
- Pull off a small (nickel sized) test piece of the broccoli-potato mixture in the pan. (you are checking to see if it is hot enough, you want to hear an immediate sizzle)
- Fry patties 3 - 4 at a time, depending on how big your pan is! It's going to take about 3 minutes per side, flip when the edges are browned.
- Transfer your golden delicious fritters to the wire rack and salt while hot! Repeat the frying process until all of them are done.
- Optional Topping Suggestions - Poached Eggs - Pulled Chicken - Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt