- Prep time 20 minutes
- Cook time 2 hours
- makes about 5 dozen toasts
Swedish "biscotti" from my mom's kitchen, made delicious with cardamon, butter and sour cream. This good stuff looks pretty in a glass cookie jar, dips nicely into a strong cup of coffee and keeps for a long, long time. —Kari K
What You'll Need
3 1/4 cups
slivered almonds (optional)
ground cardamon (see note)
- Cream butter, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder in a separate bowl. Fold into butter/sugar mixture alternately with sour cream.
- Smash whole cardamon seeds and add into mixture. NOTE: This can be done with mortar and pestle OR by putting the seeds into a baggie and smashing with a hammer on a cement floor. Smashing whole cardamon seeds is key to the recipe. Ground cardamon is good...but starting with whole cardamon seeds takes this recipe from "better" to "best".
- Spread batter into 9 x 13 cake pan. Bake 45-50 minutes @ 350. Let cool completely. Cut into fourths and use a spatula to take out one-fourth of the cooled cake. Cut into strips, about 1/4" - 1/2" thick. * To avoid tearing, cool completely and use a sharp or serrated knife to get through those almonds.
- Lay on cookie sheets (you can line with aluminum foil, if you like). Let toast in oven @ 275 until brown (about 15 minutes). Turn every 15 minutes. Toasting time may be anywhere from 45 minutes to 60 minutes, toast should be completely dry, hard and lightly browned.