If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I came up with this when my farm share was delivering butternut squash by the crateful. Turns out beer and butternut are good together. —Kristin Irani Myruski
- 3 pounds stew beef
- 3 cups butternut squash, large dice
- 2 cups onion, medium dice
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, quartered
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 16 ounces Guinness beer
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup prepared coffee
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme or marjoram
- flour for dusting beef
- vegetable or coconut oil for searing
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- Season flour with salt and pepper and heat enough oil to cover bottom of a dutch oven.
- Working in batches, toss beef with the flour and once the oil in the pan is smoking, add beef to the pot and allow to sear. Once the first side is seared well (do not move it until it's seared), start to turn the pieces and sear all sides.
- Remove beef to a large plate and return pan to heat. Add half a cup of water to the smoking pan and use a spatula or spoon to scrape up the browned business on the bottom of the pot. Allow to reduce for about 20 seconds and then pour over beef and continue with remaining batches of raw beef.
- When beef is all seared add some more oil to the pan over medium high heat and add onions, celery, ginger and jalapeño and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- When the onion mix is softened add the garlic and cook 1 -2 minutes.
- Turn heat up slightly and then add the Guinness, scraping up the good stuff, and then add the beef back to the pot.
- Add stock, coffee, marjoram, bay leaves and a teaspoon or two of salt.
- Add butternut squash and mushrooms and allow to cook 1 hour more or until everything is tender. Check for seasoning and serve over egg noodles or mashed or roasted potatoes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.