If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Congratulations to MeghanVK, whose Chicken that Fancies Itself Spanish with Lemons, Onions & Olives won this week's contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus and Olives, earning her a beautiful Proteak End-Grain Round Cutting Board from Williams-Sonoma, plus big prizes from Viking, OXO and Tiny Prints, and a spot in the next food52 cookbook!
Q&A with MeghanVK
- Describe an early food experience that has influenced the way you think about food and/or cooking.
- My grandmother was a wonderful and prolific baker, so I spent a lot of time painstakingly rolling out cookies as a child, making sure each ball of dough was exactly the same size. I found that very satisfying.
- What's your least favorite food?
- I hate bananas. The smell, the texture, the flavor; everything.
- What is the best thing you've made so far this year?
- Some friends and I have a monthly dinner club, and for my turn hosting I made an assortment of tapas (I had just returned from my honeymoon in Spain), followed by fideos with clams and saffron, and a dish of wax beans with simple tomato sauce that I threw together in a last-minute panic. Do I know why the throwaway beans were the hit of the night? I do not. But they were.
- Describe your most spectacular kitchen disaster.
- I had a great idea to make cucumber jello from the drippings of cucumbers I'd drained to make tzatziki. I was so proud of my creativity and thrift that I forgot I'd salted the cucumbers. It was truly foul.
- What is your idea of comfort food?
- Scalloped potatoes, Ina Garten-style.
- Apron or no apron?
- Not usually, but I do have a gorgeous one that my friend brought me from Hong Kong. It's plastic, features a cartoon off-brand Mickey Mouse, and says "Always Smile With Little Bubu!" in cartoon lettering. I wear it if I'm cranky.
- What's your favorite food-related scene in a movie?
- The opening credits to American Psycho: perfect on so many levels.
- If you could make a show-stopping dinner for one person, living or dead, who would it be?
- I didn't really get into cooking until after my grandparents passed away, so it would be nice to cook them a meal. On the other hand, they all feared salt...
- You prefer to cook: a. alone, b. with others, c. it depends on your mood
- Usually A, because a New York City kitchen is too small to share!
- When it comes to tidying up, you usually: a. clean as you cook, b. do all the dishes once you've finished cooking, c. leave the kitchen a shambles for your spouse/roommate/kids to clean.
- MeghanVK with her husband; the lovely Proteak End-Grain Round Cutting Board she's won from Williams-Sonoma!
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).