Congratulations to Katie Morford and Humaira Ghilzai, whose Afghan Dumplings with Lamb Kofta and Yogurt Sauce won this week's contest for Your Best Dumplings, earning her a handsome All-Clad d5 Stainless Steel 3-Qt Steamer Set from Williams-Sonoma, plus big prizes from Viking, OXO and Tiny Prints, and a spot in the next food52 cookbook!
Q&A with Katie Morford (Humaira is on vacation)
- Describe an early food experience that has influenced the way you think about food and/or cooking.
- Watching my grandfather cook. He did so with such love and abundance. Everyone wanted to be at his table.
- What's your least favorite food?
- What is the best thing you've made so far this year?
- I made a pasta sauce by pureeing a roasted kabocha squash with roasted garlic, a little milk and grated Parmesan. I tossed it with linguine and topped it with toasted chopped walnuts. It was delicious and super healthy.
- Describe your most spectacular kitchen disaster.
- When I was first getting into cooking, I made a smoothie with an immersion blender. I brought the blender up to my mouth to taste it and accidentally pushed the button. The next day was my very first day of work right out of college and I had a huge fat lip. That's a mistake you make only once.
- What is your idea of comfort food?
- My mom's baked macaroni and cheese
- Apron or no apron?
- No apron
- What's your favorite food-related scene in a movie?
- The food Cher makes in the movie Mermaids is pretty entertaining... everything the family eats is on a skewer.
- If you could make a show-stopping dinner for one person, living or dead, who would it be?
- Tina Fey
- You prefer to cook: a. alone, b. with others, c. it depends on your mood
Katie in the kitchen with her kids (left) and Humaira with a platter of Afghan kebabs; the lovely All-Clad d5 Stainless Steel 3-Qt Steamer Set they've won from Williams-Sonoma (below)
Get $10 off your first purchase of $50 or more.