The last thing you want after a lengthy day is lengthy time spent on your feet in the kitchen. All you really want to do is sit down, put your feet up, and instantaneously be eating something divine. This week's Dinner Tonight comes together in a snap so you can be doing just that in under an hour. Dinner takes the form of a crispy skinned fish and a charred corn and avocado salad, and will definitely make the end of your day -- that short, sweet part when you're resting -- that much sweeter.
Four 6-ounce skin-on-fish fillets (like striped bass or salmon)
5 years of corn
1 poblano pepper
1/2 red onion
1 large or 2 small avocado
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons me juice, plus wedges
Handful of fresh basil and mint leaves
We know you've got a well-stocked pantry and have flour, canola oil, olive oil, salt, white pepper, honey, and cayenne pepper on hand.
1. Preheat your broiler. Shuck the corn, remove the silks, cut the kernels from the cob and place them in a bowl. Dice the poblano and slice the red onion, and add them to the kernels with some olive oil and salt and pepper.
2. Transfer to a lined baking sheet and broil for 3-5 minutes, shaking the pan a few times until you get some noticeable char. Meanwhile, dice your avocado.
3. When you get visible char, add the avocado and broil for a minute longer, then remove. Preheat the oven for the fish.
4. Whisk together the lime juice, honey and cayenne, then drizzle in the the olive oil, whisking until emulsified.
5. Season the vinaigrette, transfer the broiled corn mixture into a bowl, add the tomatoes, mint and basil, and toss all with the vinaigrette. Season to taste; your salad is done.
6. Coat an oven proof sauté pan with canola oil and heat until very hot. Season the fish with salt and white pepper on each side, and dust with Wondra flour, then place each fillet skin side down and sear until golden brown.
7. Turn the fish over, put the pan in the oven, and cook for 3 minutes.
8. Serve your fish alongside your salad and sit down and give those well-worked feet a rest.
Photos by James Ransom
Get $10 off your first purchase of $50 or more.