If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Many years ago, my aunt gave me a recipe for a fresh fruit tart that I have been making ever since. The apples looked and tasted good at our Farmers Market last Friday, so I began planning an updated version of my apple tart. The navel oranges on our tree have just ripened, so I wanted to incorporate them as well. This was our dessert last night at a family supper. Five of us had gathered to celebrate my husband's steps towards recovery from a recent heart attack. Life feels very sweet these days... Note: You will need a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. - Lizthechef
- 1 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, salt and sugar.
- Using a fork, work in the butter. Add the vinegar. Mix until a ball of dough forms.
- Using your hands, press the crust into the tart pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees while you assemble the filling.
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 6 organic, medium-sized Granny Smith apples
- 1 teaspoon navel orange zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed navel orange juice
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger, chopped
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (optional)
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Place in a large bowl. Add the orange zest and juice. Mix well.
- Add the flour, sugar and ginger. Mix to coat fruit.
- Arrange the apples inside the crust. You will have two generous layers of fruit.
- Heat the marmalade slightly in a microwave. Add Grand Marnier and stir to combine. Using a pastry brush, gently glaze the tops of the fruit.
- Place tart pan on a sided sheet pan to catch spilled juices.
- Bake for one hour. Allow the tart to completely cool before removing the side of the pan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.