Author Notes: I have always loved the sweet/salty combination of bacon and dates (actually, bacon and pretty much anyhing). For my best winter tart, I wanted to create a dish that can be served anytime! As a dessert or appetizer, my dates with bacon will make anyone find this "sweettart" irresistible! Don't worry, the onions will not leave you feeling unkissable!
For the Filling
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 4 pieces applewood smoked bacon chopped
- 5 cups sweet onion sliced thin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 3/4 cups pitted dates, chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 ounces Camembert cheese (about 1/2 wheel) sliced
Orange Maple Reduction
- 1 Tangerine juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- For the tart: Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Add bacon pieces to a skillet and cook on medium until the bacon is crispy. Transfer bacon to a paper towel. Drain bacon grease, but reserve 1 tablespoon in skillet.
- Add onions, salt and pepper. Cook the onions on medium-low until they are translucent.
- Add 1/4 cup dates and sprig of rosemary to onions and continue cooking until the onions are caramelized. Be patient! This may take a while but cook until the onions are light brown in color and really soft.
- Remove the rosemary sprig from the onion mixture. Allow onion and date mixture to cool for a few minutes. Stir in half of bacon bits and 1/4 cup dates.
- Lay pie shell on bottom of a springform pan. Add a layer of cheese to the pie shell. Pour onion mixture on top. Layer more cheese and sprinkle with bacon and dates. Fold the edges of the pie shell around the onion mixture. Brush with milk. Assemble springform base in the collar. I found this catches any juices that escape. Brush the pastry with milk. Bake in the oven until the tart is golden and bubbly. About 40 minutes. Allow tart to cool before moving to plate. Slice into 8 pieces.
- For the Orange Maple Glaze- Juice and zest 1 large tangerine or orange.
- Add juice and zest to a non-stick small saute pan. Add apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and salt to the juice. Bring to a boil and simmer on low.
- With a rubber spatula, stir the ingredients occasionally until the mixture reduces by half. Drizzle the glaze on each individual slice of tart. Serve cold or warm. Enjoy your date with bacon!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)