If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
I made this for the first time for a dinner party in pie form and it was a big hit with my guests. I’m not much of a baker, and I like that this looks very sophisticated (ironically since it is less work than a conventional tart without the work of one). I say in the recipe to use Granny Smith and Gala apples but on occasion I use one or two Macintosh apples for optimum post-cooking squishiness and since they are my favorite I always have a bunch around. But they are not “conventional” so I didn’t include them in the recipe.
- 8 Apples
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Bourbon (I use Maker's Mark)
- 1 Recipe Pate Brisee
- 1/4 cup Flour, all-purpose
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 2 tablespoons Juice from the Orange
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 4 tablespoons Cold Unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat to 450 degrees
- Cut and peel apples. Add cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg, toss. Put ½ stick of butter in a skillet over med-high to melt. Add the apples and sauté till all ingredients are well combined and starting to get syrupy (5 minutes). Add the whiskey and cook down (5-10 mins). If using gas, remove the pan from the heat before adding the alcohol. Remove from heat.
- Make topping: combine flour, sugar, spices and salt and butter. Combine with Pastry Blender (can also use a food processor, but after, break the topping up with a knife or pastry blender so it’s not too clumpy). Rub it together with your fingers till it begins to hold together.
- Roll out the pate Brisee to ¼” thick. Place the apples in the center, spreading them out to within an inch of each edge. Sprinkle topping over the fruit. Fold edges over the fruit to form the tart, crimp edges to hold it together.
- Place in oven and bake until golden brown. 20-25 mins.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
Put Summer in a Jar
How to freestyle berry jam
Freestyle berry jam.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
The new Food52 office.
Octopi my heart.