Author Notes: My inspiration for this tart came to me on a recent visit to the Palm Springs area. The peak season for citrus was in full bloom and I had enjoyed taking full advantage of using the various varieties available in almost every meal I prepared. - MargeeB
- 1-3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon ice water
Tart and Topping
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed blood orange or regular orange juice
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons candied citrus peel(homemade or purchased)
- 2 tablespoons warmed honey
- For Crust Whirl flour, sugar, and salt in food processor, add butter and pulse with on/off button until mixture resembles coarse meal. In small bowl whisk honey, egg yolks and water then add to flour mixture with on/off button until dough just comes together. Gather dough into a ball; flatten into a disk. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Roll dough out on a floured work surface to a 12 inch round, transfer to a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Press dough into bottom and sides, trim edges then pierce bottom a few times with fork. Line crust with large piece of parchment paper. Fill tart with pie weights or dried beans. Bake crust until just golden about 8 minutes. Remove parchment paper and pie weights, continue baking until golden all over about 3 minutes more. Cool tart crust on wire rack.
- For Filling Whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt in heavy medium saucepan to blend. Whisk in orange juice and egg yolks then bring to a boil over medium heat whisking constantly. Lower heat to simmer, whisk in butter and orange rind until smooth. Remove from heat, cool slightly then spread into prepared pie crust. Cover top with plastic wrap and chill until set at least 4 hours.
- To Serve Remove tart pan's rim, cut into 8 slices. Place 1 slice onto each of 8 dessert plates, add a dollop of whipped cream, sprinkle candied citrus rind over whipped cream and last drizzle with the warmed honey.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)