Author Notes: This tart has no history....I've just been thinking about almond flavored anything all week....... - inpatskitchen
Makes 1 ten inch tart
- 1 8 ounce package almond biscotti ( about 10 pieces) or enough to make 2 cups when crumbed
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place the biscotti in the bowl of a food processor and process until fine crumbs are formed.
- Thoroughly combine the crumbs with the butter and press into a 10 inch tart pan going up the sides if possible.
- Bake the tart shell in a 350F oven for 15 minutes.
- 1 cup whole milk, heated to almost boiling
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups ricotta cheese
- sliced almonds, chocolate chips, chocolate syrup, or fruits of the season for garnish
- In a double boiler over simmering water quickly whisk the egg yolks, sugar and flour together.
- Slowly add the hot milk, whisking constantly.
- Whisk over the heat until the mixture forms a custard like consistency. Add the vanilla and almond extracts. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Beat the ricotta until it softens and then add to the custard mixture and thoroughly incorporate.
- Pour the ricotta custard mixture into the tart shell and bake at 325F for 30 minutes or until the center is set.
- Cool to room temperature.Garnish with sliced almonds, chocolate or fruit of the season.
- Chill thoroughly before serving.
- NOTE: I think that the next time I make this I'll use my 10 inch quiche pan...the crust is very delicate.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)