If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Mom made this gooey caramel nut tart every Christmas - it was a huge hit. Back when she made it, she used only pecans. When I took over cooking desserts, I added pistachios, almonds, and walnuts. It is sublime - more a confection than pie. You will love it. And it is so easy because it is made with a pate sucre which is pressed into the pan, not rolled - great for cooks who fear rolling pie dough! - lisa volpe hachey
For the crust
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
For the filling
- 2/3 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup Karo syrup
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 cups unsalted nuts, such as macadamias, cashews, pecans, pistachios, and walnuts
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle, combine butter and granulated sugar. Mix on low speed until combined. Add yolk and mix until well combined. Scrape down sides with rubber spatula. Add flour and mix on low speed until incorporated. The dough should be in large clumps.
- Remove dough from bowl into 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Press clumps of dough evenly into bottom and sides of tart pan. Chill for 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly prick bottom of dough in the tart pan. Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes. While crust is baking, prepare filling.
- Place brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and cream in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Slowly bring to boil, stirring. Boil steadily for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Remove tart crust from oven. Decrease oven temperature to 325 degrees. Place all the nuts on the crust and carefully pour caramel over nuts. Return to oven and bake until filling is bubbly.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)