Author Notes: When I was young, each birthday my mother would bring a container of cupcakes up to the school at recess, to share with the class. For my first 'post-gluten-free' birthday, I made these lemon cupcakes, sweetened with maple syrup.
Light and moist, just like those which saw the class jump from their seats quite some years ago now. - KateAlice.
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup millet flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F and have 12 cupcake liners ready on a tray
- In a medium sized bowl, use a whisk or fork to combine the almond flour, millet flour, cream of tartar and baking soda
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, grapeseed oil, maple syrup, and lemon zest
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir until just combined to a slightly thick batter
- Drop 1-2 tablespoons of batter into each cupcake cup. Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Put them on a cooling rack before icing or topping.