If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Gelato is an obsession of mine. So is endless experimenting with a recipe even when the results come out pretty well the first time.
Last summer I was trying 101 things with honey from the Chicago Honey Co-op and I decided to try a honey gelato. I have only made this with ricotta but it would be interesting to try it with other cheese as well. - dagmaraelza - dagmaraelza
Food52 Review: Dagmaraelza knows how to create a mean gelato -- rich, flavorful and easy to make. By adding the ricotta after straining the honey custard, she makes sure there are still visible flecks of cheese in this frozen treat. Honey takes a front seat here, so be sure to use a quality honey that you love. - Stephanie Bourgeois
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 ounces fresh ricotta
- Place a medium metal bowl in the freezer to chill. Heat cream, milk, honey and salt over medium heat until bubbles form. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar.
- Temper the eggs with the milk mixture by adding about 1/4 cup at a time and stirring. Do this two or three times.
- Add the tempered egg mixture to the saucepan of warm milk. Turn the heat to low. Cook, stirring gently, until the mixture thickens to a loose custard. You can check by coating the back of a spoon and running your finger over the spoon. If it leaves a clear trail, it is ready.
- Strain the custard through a fine mesh strainer into the chilled metal bowl. Stir in the ricotta cheese and mix well.
- Chill the mixture in your refrigerator 20 minutes and then process in an ice cream maker.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta
What's sweet and sour and your new favorite ingredient?
The answer is tamarind.
Ottolenghi's secret ingredient.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Live la vie en rose.
Take these foods to go.