Author Notes: A must have condiment for almost any Indian snack. This is an absolutely basic version that can be made at short notice. - Panfusine
Makes 1 cup
- 1.5 teaspoons Tamarind extract
- 1/3 cup Jaggery (gud) or dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Chopped dates,
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds, powdered
- 1/8 teaspoon red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/8 cup hot water
- Soak the dates in the hot water till soft. Drain prior to blending, reserving the liquid.
- Combine tamarind extract, gud/ sugar & chopped dates in a food processor & blend till the dates have completely been mashed up & the sugar has dissolved. Add red chilli powder, salt & toasted cumin powder & mix well. Add the reserved liquid to dilute if needed.
- Keeps for ~ 1 week in the refrigerator