If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Steve Sando of Rancho Gordo is a friend and inspiration. I love his beans. This recipe steals a few ingredients from the rich mole sauces of Mexico that exude a delectable smokiness from toasted nuts and dark chocolate. I top it with toasted pumpkin seeds and crumbled cotija cheese. Unless you buy really freshly dried beans they will need to be soaked overnight. - lorinarlock
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 cup dried anasazi beans
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chile powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 piece bacon, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 small jalapeno, diced fine
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried cocoa powder
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated cotija cheese
- Put the beans in a bowl, cover with water and soak overnight. (If the beans are fresh you can skip this step and cook slightly longer.)
- Drain the beans in a colander. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the beans. Cook until tender, about 1 hour.
- Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the pumpkin seeds. Sprinkle the cumin and chile powder over the top and stir to coat evenly. Cook until slightly crisped, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring as needed, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onions and jalapeno and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in the beans, stock, and oregano. Bring to a boil. Stir in the cocoa powder and chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide into bowls and top with equal amounts of the pumpkin seeds and the cotija. Serve hot.
Take Some Time For Yourself
Indulge in a luxe dinner tonight.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Grilled Brie Sandwiches
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Dumplings, No Recipe Required