Author Notes: I found an old recipe for curried dip from a newspaper clipping of my mother's a few years ago. It was a cream cheese and beef consume blend. The only problem was that it looked dull. So I thought a layered effect might work. It did! The ricotta version looks very much like a geode or a piece of rustic glazed pottery. - erkitty
Serves 8 to 10 as an appetizer
- two 10.5 ounces cans of beef consume
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons hot jalapeno pepper jelly
- 2 teaspoons curry powder-a moderate one
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 packet unflavored gelatin
- 4 pieces whole grain Naan
- 4 ounces room temp cream cheese
- Add one envelope of gelatin to the two cans of consume and heat until gelatin is dissolved.
- Place 1/3 of the consume in a glass Pyrex bowl and allow to gel in the refrigerator for about one hour. Leave the remainder to cool room temp.
- Mix the cup of ricotta with the cream cheese, pepper jelly, chives and curry powder and chill. Chill remainder of consume so that it is thick but pourable-about ten minutes.
- Place ricotta in a pastry bag and pipe a layer on top of the firm consume. Pour the rest of the consume over ricotta and chill until firm.
- Cut Naan into pie shaped wedges, spray with canola oil and toast in the oven at 350 deg. For about 15 minutes.
- When the Hot Mess has become firm, dip the Pyrex bowl in hot tap water bath and turn onto a platter. Spoon over wedges of toasted Naan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta